Meeting Minutes 5 May 2020


A virtual meeting of Parracombe Parish Council held on Tuesday 5 May 2020 at 7.30pm using Zoom as the internet meeting tool

Present: – Cllr’s. Austin, S. Bastock, H Bloore, Cheetham, D Harding, and Holtom (Chairman).

Also, in attendance, Cllr’s A Davis, Patrinos together with three members of the public and the Clerk

01/05/20Welcome and Introduction by the Chairman
The Chairman welcomed all to the first virtual meeting of Parracombe Parish Council
02/05/20Open Public Participation Session
The Chairman brought forward Item 14/05/20 as Cllr. Kelway wished to address the meeting concerning this item Cllr. Kelway, from Trentishoe Parish Council, explained the reasons for a possible merger with Parracombe because of boundary changes and the fact, geographically the parish is nearer Parracombe, and that they both are in the National Park therefore it made sense to join forces. After discussion it was proposed by Cllr. D Harding seconded by Cllr. Austin and carried unanimously that in principal they agreed with the proposal to merge Councils but needed to find out if both parishes were in full agreement by canvasing parishioners and to bring a decision to the next meeting.
03/05/20Police Report
There was no police presence, but the clerk reported that P.C.S.O. Grace had been in touch and had reported they had been no incidences in the village over the past month and that the newsletter will be out shortly A Member said she had received reports of the public trying to use ‘Facebook Messenger’ to report to the police but the site was not working. Cllr. Patrinos advised to either use the 999 service or use the police’s website to report matters. It was asked that the Clerk report to the police that ‘Messenger’ is not working and to ask it to be removed from their site. Action Clerk
04/05/20County Council Report
County Councillor A Davis reported that much of the County Council’s work had been taken with dealing with the implications of the coronavirus but was pleased to report that the roundabout at Lynton Cross had been given approval and that work should start soon. Cllr. A Davis voiced concern over a vandalization of a County Council’s road sign, pointing to Heddon Valley, that had been sprayed with blue paint. She has reported it to the Highways department and awaits a new sign to be made at the public’s cost
Cllr. Cheetham joined the meeting at 19.50
Declaration of Member’s Interests
Members must declare personal and prejudicial interests in items on the agenda at the start of the meeting and whenever the interests become apparent.
05/05/20District Council Report
District Councillor J Patrinos reported that discretionary grants concerning the Covid-19 would be coming soon. He voiced his thanks as did all the Members to the hidden workforce of waste collection workers. He voiced concern from the District Council over any proposal from central government over ‘opening-up’ again and people flocking here to second homes or holidays. Waiting for a Government decision.
Closed Council session
06/05/20To receive apologies for absence
Nil, save but P.C.S.O. Grace
07/05/20Declarations of Member’s Interests
Nil
08/05/20 To approve and to sign later, the Minutes of the meetings held on 3rd March 2020
These were agreed as being correct and the Clerk was asked to Per procurationem on the Chairman’s behalf
09/05/20Matters arising
Cllr’s. Bloore and Harding stated that the tree would be planted tomorrow (6th May 2020). Cllr. Harding will investigate obtaining a plaque and Cllr. Holtom said he would obtain the name and address and pass on to her. Action Cllr. Holtom
10/05/20Casual vacancy for Parish Councillor
The Clerk had reported that the County Electoral Office had reported to him that there will not be an election and therefore the Members of the Parish Council were invited to co-opt a member of the public to the office. After discussion it was decided to offer it to the parishioners by advertising the post on the noticeboards and the Facebook page. If this yielded no results the vacancy could be left until the possible merger with Trentishoe parish
11/05/20Parracombe Community Trust
Cllr. Austin reported that the sub-committee will be holding a zoom meeting in a few days’ time concerning housing and the shop has been put on hold due to funding problems because of the coronavirus situation and it will probably be put back a year. As for the village hall the Chairman reported that they have received a grant from North Devon District Council for £10,000 and thanked them for the this.
12/05/20Planning applications – new (0)
Pending or resolved by ENPA (9)
/162/50/19/013
Rowley Moor Farm, Parracombe, Devon Proposed conversion of stables to one Local Needs Affordable dwelling. – Not yet decided
/262/50/20/001
Ladyswell Farm, Parracombe, Barnstaple, EX31 4RL Retrospective change of use of part of agricultural field and erection of 1.8-metre-high perimeter fence to create a dog exercise area, together with retrospective change of use of building to kennel utility room and dog treat bakery. (Amended description) – Approved with Conditions
/362/50/20/003
Location: Sunnyside Farm, Road. From Bodley Cross to Prestonford Cottages, Parracombe, EX31 4QJ Proposal: Change of use of redundant agricultural building of stone construction to residential use with small extension. Transfer of independent residential use from the cottage to the barn and amalgamation of the cottage with the farmhouse – Not yet decided
/462/50/20/004
Location: Land in Field to the North of the A39 West of Holwell Wood, and Land on Access track to Rowley Barton Proposal: Proposed reinstatement of railway line, creation of cutting and embankment previously removed together with new railway bridge. (amendment to approved application ref 62/50/16/001) Not yet decided
/562/50/20/005
Lower East Middleton, Parracombe, Barnstaple, EX31 4PF                   
Retrospective removal of hedgerow together with the creation of new gateway to give access to existing farmyard – Approved with Conditions
/662/50/20/006
Location: Land to the North West of Holworthy Farm, Parracombe, Barnstaple, Devon, EX31 4RL
Proposal: Proposed dwelling and farm office – Approved with Conditions
/762/50/20/007
Location: 3 Prestonford Cottages, Parracombe, Barnstaple, EX31 4QJ
Proposal: Proposed replacement of existing timber window and door with uPVC. Not yet decided
/862/50/20/008
Location: Hednacott, Churchtown, Parracombe, Barnstaple, Devon, EX31 4RJ
Proposal: Proposed terracing of garden area. Part retrospective. Not yet decided
/9GDO 20/04
Location: KILLINGTON FARM, MARTINHOE, PARRACOMBE, BARNSTAPLE, EX31 4QW
Proposal: Proposed installation of 11m replica telegraph pole and associated apparatus. Not yet decided Concern was voiced over application 62/50/20/004. The Planning office were awaiting guidance, but concerns were voiced over the pre felling of trees. The Clerk together with Chairman’s assistance were asked to contact the planning office to voice the concerns of the parish. Action Clerk and Chairman
13/05/20Finance:
/1Additional payments made since the last notification of the Agenda:
Devon CC INCOME £300.00
J Stampfer Internal audit £60.00
HMRC INCOME (VAT return) £227.34
DALC Training £120.00
Playsafety Limited Play equipment check £86.40
EDF Energy Pavilion £29.99
A Cut Above Grass cutting £170.00
DALC Training £48.00 DALC Membership £75.91
Heddon Valley Marketing Web maintenance £65.00
The following payments are due to be approved for payment:
/2DJ Hatherley Postage stamps £9.12
DJ Hatherley Salary £239.04
DJ Hatherley Mileage (internal audit) £5.68
South West Water Pavilion £207.30
North Devon District Council INCOME (precept) £5024.87  
The above payments were noted and the rest approved for payment. The Clerk pointed out that the postage stamps cost was £9.12 and not £9.20 as stated on the agenda Concern was raised by the Clerk over the once again high water bill but pointed out that it was an ‘estimated’ one. Cllr. Austin volunteered to read the metre and pass the figure onto the Clerk. Action Cllr. Austin
/3Internal audit It was noted that the auditor had put the wrong heading on the report and the Clerk was asked to ask her to alter the wording and resend it. Action Clerk. The report was sound
14/05/20Possible merger with Trentishoe Parish Please see item 02/05/20
15/05/20RoSPA Play Safety report
It was noted, that once again, the report showed that the play equipment needed some urgent maintenance, but the cost of replacement was going to be too much for the parish to spend at this time. It was agreed that the Chairman would ask a member of the public, who has helped before, to mend and make do for the next year. Action Cllr’s. Austin and Holtom. Cllr. Davis reported that the County Council had some money to help towards this activity and would investigate this further. Action Cllr. Davis
Roles and Responsibilities
PROWS: Footpaths & Bridleways: Cllr. Cheetham reported that a footpath had become blocked which he had reported and had received an email reply stating that the work towards unblocking the path would start soon
Highways: Signage/Drains/potholes and surfaces: Cllr. Harding reported that she had received three volunteers to join her, but training will have to be on hold due to the present situation. However, there is a starter course on-line that she will investigate with the help from Barnstaple. Action Cllr. Harding
Trees and Playing field equipment: Cllr. Holdom reported that Western Power will shortly be starting work. There is one dead tree to be felled and the other tree that was to be felled was blocked by a blue car at the time. Cllr. Austin to contact the owner. Action Cllr. Austin 
Emergency Planning and Snow warden: Cllr. Harding asked if she could go on a training course when the shut-down was all over. This was agreed
Liaison with school and Church: Cllr. Harding reported that the food the church had collected had been taken and given to the food bank at Lynton. It was suggested that the grass that needed to be cut at S. Petrock’s church could be undertaken by the PCT umbrella. Action Cllr’s. Austin and Holtom to investigate
Website and publicity, communications: Cllr. Austin reported that the website is being kept up to date concerning the present situation re the Coronavirus.
Liaison with PCT: See item 11/05/20
Planning noting applications contact for affected parties and applications & LPA etc: See item 12/05/20
Finance: See item 13/05/20
Human resources: Cllr. Bastock reported that the yearly review of the Clerk was due and to be made an item for the next meeting
17/05/20Proposed tree planting in small field See item 16/05/20/03
18/05/20Road Warden Scheme See item 16/05/20/02
19/05/20To confirm the date of the next meeting
Tuesday 7th July 2020 was set as the date for the next meeting
20/05/20Any Items for the next agenda Clerk’s annual review Website maintenance to go out for three quotations for maintenance and regular updating


The meeting closed at 20.55

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *