Minutes 7 July 2020

An online meeting of the above-named Parish Council held on Tuesday 7th July 2020 at 7.30pm using Zoom as the internet meeting tool. The meeting was held in two parts, being forty minutes in duration each, with a twenty-minute break in between.

Present: – Cllr’s. D. Austin, S. Bastock, S. Cheetham, D Harding, and J. Holtom (Chairman).

Also, in attendance, two members of the public together with the Clerk

01/07/20 The Chairman welcomed all to the meeting

02/07/20 Open Public Participation Session

The Chairman stated that he had been following up on the site meeting, attended with members of the planning office, re application 62/50/20/004 but as of yet has heard nothing back from them.

03/07/20 Police Report

There was no police in attendance but PCSO Grace had sent in a newsletter that had been circulated and a letter re the motorbike noise on the A39 and that the unit, when attending, could not find any evidence of motorbike irregularities at that time.

04/07/20 County Council Report

There was no County Council report

05/07/20 District Council Report

There was no District Council report

Closed Council session

06/07/20 To receive apologies for absence

Apologies were received from Cllr’s Bloore, Davis and Patrinos

07/07/20 Declarations of Member’s Interests
Cllr. Austin declared an interest in item 15/07/20/6. The Clerk granted permission for him to explain the current situation re the maintenance of the website

08/07/20 To approve and to sign the Minutes of the meetings held on 9th June 2020

The Minutes were approved as being correct but not signed

09/07/20 Matters arising

Cllr. Austin produced a possible logo for the Parish Council that a member of Parracombe public had designed. Whilst most of the Members approved of the logo it was decided to put it on the website to stimulate thoughts and ideas from the public to either go ahead, or to modify the design.

Action: – Cllr. Austin

Cllr. Bastock joined the meeting at 19.45

10/07/20 Casual vacancy for Parish Councillor

There were no new updates

11/07/20 Possible merger with Trentishoe Parish

After discussion it was agreed that the Clerk should write an open letter to the parishioners, via the village website, explaining the advantages and disadvantages of a possible merger with Trentishoe Parish. The letter would be circulated to Members before it was to be shown on the website for their approval. Action: – Clerk

12/07/20 Parracombe Community Trust

/1 Progress on the village shop

Cllr. Austin stated that the Committee was working fast towards the share offer by the beginning of August to raise the £50,000 required from the community. He reported that the Committee had more or less finalised the shop aspect of the designs but still have not fully decided on the coffee shop aspects but it could be in the form of a “community café”, which has proved well elsewhere. This, in turn, would help the case for grant funding because of the social improvement aspect within the community.

He reported that the building drawings have been finalised and that they were ready to obtain at least three quotations from builders for the work. In October, the share offer will close.

He stressed the need for the Parish Council to sign a lease agreement as soon as possible and to that end it was agreed to hold a meeting next month and that Cllr’s Austin and Holtom will draft a discussion document to be circulated before the next meeting. Action: – Cllr’s Austin & Holtom

It was also noted that the Trust would like the Parish Council to make an investment pledge at the next Parish Council meeting

The first part of the meeting closed at 20.08

The second half of the meeting stated at 20.28

/2 Affordable housing project

The Chairman reported that there was no further progress on this topic but the Village Hall committee had been working hard to get the hall up and running again, after the shutdown, and that the windows had been repainted. The Committee were now concentrating of health and safety issues, together with risk assessments in order to reopen as soon as it is allowed.

13/07/20 Planning applications – new (0)

Pending or resolved by ENPA (5)

/1 62/50/20/009

Location: HEALE FARM, PARRACOMBE, BARNSTAPLE, EX31 4QE

Proposal: Proposed erection of agricultural building (9.1m x 18.2m), together with the levelling of site. Part retrospective. – Not yet decided

/2 62/50/19/013

Rowley Moor Farm, Parracombe, Devon

Proposed conversion of stables to one Local Needs Affordable dwelling. – Not yet decided

/3 62/50/20/003

Location: Sunnyside Farm, Road. From Bodley Cross to Prestonford Cottages, Parracombe, EX31 4QJ

Proposal: Change of use of redundant agricultural building of stone construction to residential use with small extension. Transfer of independent residential use from the cottage to the barn and amalgamation of the cottage with the farmhouse – Approved with Conditions

/4 62/50/20/004

Location: Land in Field to the North of the A39 West of Holwell Wood, and Land on Access track to Rowley Barton. Proposal: Proposed reinstatement of railway line, creation of cutting and embankment previously removed together with new railway bridge. (amendment to approved application ref 62/50/16/001) Not yet decided

/5 62/50/20/008
Location: Hednacott, Churchtown, Parracombe, Barnstaple, Devon, EX31 4RJ
Proposal: Proposed terracing of garden area. Part retrospective. Approved with Conditions

The Council noted the above applications

14/07/20 Finance:

/1 Additional payments made since the last notification of the Agenda: –

Heddon Valley Marketing Web hosting and maintenance £ 163.78 – Paid by bank transfer

Devon District Council Grant towards Playground equipment £ 901.00 – Income

Interest Lloyds bank £ 0.05 – Income

Devon Comm. Together Membership £ 50.00 – Paid by bank transfer

The following payments are due to be approved for payment: –

D J Hatherley Clerk salary for April & May £ 239.04 – Cheque

/2 Financial report from the Clerk

The Clerk stated that he had spent £218.40 towards playground equipment which he was being repaid, together with his pay cheque. The goods had been delivered that day to Cllr. Harding

15/07/20 Roles and Responsibilities Reports if warranted

/1 PROWS: Footpaths & Bridleways:

Nil

/2 Highways: Signage/Drains/potholes and surfaces:

The Chairman reported that he had completed the Highways theory test and that Councillors Harding and Cheetham should complete theirs as soon as possible. Action: – Cllr’s. Harding & Cheetham

Concern had been shown by various members of the public re signs left in the road. It was agreed that Cllr. Harding would contact Highways through Cllr. Davis in order to point out the danger on the road surface. Action: – Cllr. Harding

/3 Trees and Playing field equipment:

It was noted that County Councillor A. Davis, had managed to obtain two grants, to the total of £1,000 for the play equipment. The Council gave thanks to Cllr. Davis for obtaining the money and that it was much appreciated

/4 Emergency Planning and Snow warden:
Nil

/5 Liaison with school and Church:

Nil

/6 Website and publicity, communications:

After discussion it was felt that the Council should seek three tenders from website designers, one of which would be Heddon Valley Marketing, in order to maintain and update the site for the next three years. The Clerk was asked to write a specification document relating to the work involved.

Action: – Clerk

/7 Liaison with PCT:

As stated in item 12/07/20

/8 Planning noting applications contact for affected parties and applicants & LPA

As stated in item 13/07/20

/9 Finance:

As stated in item 14/07/20

/10 Human resources:

The Chairman thanked Cllr. Bastock on the excellent draft appraisal form. It was agreed by the Council that this would be reviewed every year in the July period. Proposed by Cllr. Holdom, seconded Cllr. Harding and carried unanimously.

Cllr Bastock asked all Councillors to fill their form in and return to her as soon as possible; including the Clerk. Action: – All Councillors and the Clerk

16/06/20 Letter from the Parochial Church Council of Parracombe

The Clerk read the letter he had received from Linda Highton, the PCC Secretary, asking for a possible donation towards the upkeep of the graveyard. After discussion it was agreed to donate £100, under Section 137, towards the Parracombe PCC. Proposed by Cllr. Holdom and seconded by Cllr. Bastock and carried unanimously

17/06/20 BT Telephone boxes update

It was confirmed, again, that the PPC would keep and maintain the two BT kiosk boxes and that possibly one could house one of the defibrillators

18/07/20 Clerk’s annual review

Cllr. Bastock will meet with the Clerk soon. Action: – Cllr. Bastock

19/07/20 To confirm the date of the next meeting

Tuesday 4th August at 7.30pm

20/07/20 Items for the next agenda

As stated above

A member of the public who had arrived asked the speak. The Chairman allowed this

He stated that two white hippo bags had been removed from the line of the proposed railway line together with some unsightly barbed wire

He explained about their newsletter which is to come out soon and asked if it could go on the website. The Council agreed to this request

The Clerk said that he had just received an email from Joe White, planning officer re application 62/50/20/004 and read it to the meeting which said – Nothing of particular substance to update you with as such yet. Dean and I are considering the legal advice we have received, and we will be able to provide more detailed comments to the Parish Council in the near future”.

The meeting finished at 21.08

Parracombe Admin

Administrator for Parracombe community web site.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: