The main post box in the village is on Parracombe Lane and is set into the wall of the recently closed post office (now Sunflowers) . It has the monogram G VI R intertwined on the front, meaning that it was inserted between1936 and 1952 in the reign of George VI. It would be interesting to know the exact date.
According to the Postal Museum website the very first post boxes were the brain child of author Anthony Trollope and were trialled on Jersey in 1852 before being introduced to the mainland a year later. By 1857 smaller capacity wall mounted boxes for more rural areas were introduced. Some, like ours were modified for post offices and a door was fitted to the back to allow staff to empty the box from the inside.