Next we have a pair of cast iron drain covers, the first from Karen Farrington, proclaiming Fredk Creek and sons Sheffied House, Combe Martin, and the second from Steve Cheetham and is stamped J Irwin also of Combe Martin. There was a lot of interest when these pictures were posted and comments included mention a family by the name of Creek who owned considerable property Combe Martin until the 1950’s and a previous owner of the Fox and Goose had a brother called Frederick Creek who live in Combe Martin. Others commented that the stamped name is more likely to refer to the builder than the foundry. Although Combe Martin had iron mines and works there is no obvious record of a foundry, the nearest one being at Newport in Barnstaple which was in use for the 80 years up to 1905 when it closed. (Peter Christie:The Heritage Album: 175 years in North Devon (1824-1999).
- 100 Object 24: Handle from flagon
- Agenda 5 January 2021